Monday, October 6, 2008

EVEN FROM THE GRAVE

Even from the grave, my mother still plays a major role in my birthday. My birthday was always a special day between my mother and I. Each year, she would call me at the time she went into labor and another call came at the time of my birth. We had a bond sooo strong, that words really can not begin to explain. The summer of 1997, my mom was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer; they gave her 6 months to live. Those doctors are very good at what they do, because they hit that mark within 10 days. During that six months, I watch the woman I love and look up to slowly fade away. She told me at that time, she would make sure she would be there for the important times in my life. I thought yeah right, whatever....how could she..

Well, during her chemo/radiation treatments my mom befriended a lady; her name is Deanna. Deanna made a promise to my mom, to be her helper on earth. So every year on my birthday, I get a card from Deanna. I never knew who Deanna was, I just got the card. This year I told myself, I'd call this woman; I needed to know how and why.

Now I know the rest of the story, my mom made sure I'd know she's still with me! I wonder how many other "Angels" on earth my mom has working for her! There's not a day that goes by when I don't wish I could pick up the phone and call her, hug her, or just tell her how much I love her! I guess I'll just have to wait until that day when we're together again!


My mom would scream if she knew I put this picture out there, but it's one of the last ones I have of her. It's her last Christmas, we spent it just the 3 of us. It was one of the best Christmas days I can remember!


1 comment:

Kristie said...

That is such a cool story! Thanks for sharing.

PS: Did you celebrate a birthday this month? Happy Birthday. :)